How to Claim Compensation for Industrial Deafness

You might have heard about this one. In the event that you suffer from a hearing impairment due to too much noise in your working environment, you should be receiving due compensation from the employer.

Industrial deafness, sometimes called occupational deafness or work-related hearing impairment, is the loss of hearing being caused by operating in a noisy environment over an extended period of time. Usually, sufferers are commonly those people who works in mining, construction, factories, or contact centres.

If you have this condition and want to make a claim, there are a few things you need to know. First is medical proof, starting with a certificate that shows one has been diagnosed with industrial deafness. Start by taking a hearing test– and this can be taken online for free. Next is going to an audiologies for a medical examination wherein you will be subjected to more thorough forms of hearing tests.

Now to claim industrial deafness compensation amounts, one should either be a worker under the Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003 or a worker but temporarily unemployed. If neither of those apply, you could still pursue the case as long as done within 12 months of formal retirement. Also, one should’ve been employed for at least 5 years in the workplace where the loud noise level was a remarkable contributor to the hearing impairment.

What happens when you get compensated? Well, it’s likely that you’ll get a lump sum amount. However, you won’t be entitled to weekly compensations or reimbursement of the medical expenses. Also, you can’t have a lump sum compensation for the first five percent hearing loss since it is believed that amount of hearing loss is  just a natural setback.